Saturday, February 18, 2012

Valentine Roses...

Are Valentine roses, or any other flowers for that matter, a waste?  This year my husband sent me a dozen red roses for Valentine's Day.  I was VERY surprised because he does not send flowers very often; I've probably only received flowers in our entire 24 years of courtship and marriage about five times...including the birth of our daughter. Needless to say, when I saw my beautiful red roses, I was surprised.  Not only did the roses make me feel special, but the handwritten card expressed in no uncertain terms what I mean to him.  So were the roses a waste?  I think not! Yet, it amazed me how many people felt the need to tell me that they had rather not receive flowers or that they have told their husbands to not send them flowers.  Really?? Why???  I wonder if these same people also tell their husbands to not take them out to eat...or buy them perfume...or even help out around the house because these things, like the roses, do not last. 

Gestures, words, and yes, flowers make me feel special.  I also like jewelry, perfume, pocketbooks, shoes, and clothing...plus a variety of other things.  I enjoy receiving gifts, and my husband enjoys giving them to me. I am not ashamed of this...I don't think I should be.  I want my husband to be chivalrous and romantic, and I hope my son is paying attention to the example his daddy is setting.  Plus, we hope our daughter also sees the type of man she should look for one day...someone who willingly puts her first in his life. 

So, on our 24th Valentine's Day, my husband asked if I would be his Valentine.  My answer?  Yes, I want to be your one and only Valentine, not just once a year but for the rest of my life.  I hope my Valentine never stops being sweet to me!

1 comment:

  1. Lucky, lucky girl... no, not because of the roses (even though that is pretty sweet too). Because God has blessed you with such a wonderful man to spend your life with...

    ReplyDelete