Saturday, July 16, 2011

I want a garden!

I told Jamie that I wanted a garden.  He looked at me and said, "Alright."  I should have clarified or asked questions, but we have been married almost 18 years...surely, he understood what I meant, right?  I wanted a Southern Living magazine garden.  You know the kind...weedless, shaded, bug-free.  The kind of garden the yields basketfuls of fresh produce that magically find their way to the freezer.  Well, he did not plant me that kind of garden.

See, I got the garden that has weeds that grow faster than the plants.  The one with cucumbers, squash, and zucchini that triple in size and amount overnight.  My garden has bugs, and it is not shaded.  My garden needs attention everyday, and it yields bucketfuls at time that have to be cleaned, cut, blanched, jammed, or pickled. My freezer is full as well as my cabinets, and there is more to put up. Just where??  As I look around my dining room I see 48 jars of pickles and 12 jars of jam looking for a cupboard in which to be stored.  Only my cupboards are all full!

I am really not complaining; it is just that I had no idea how much work was involved in gardening.  I have a renewed respect for farmers as well as my mama and grandmama, who canned, jammed, and pickled every summer while I played blissfully unaware.  My friend Kerry tells me that this winter when we are enjoying the fruits of my labor it will be all worth it.  I know she is right, so I guess I better go and pickle some more okra.  I also hear that you can freeze watermelon.  I think we may need another freezer...

And remember, no making fun of my farmer's tan, I earned it...in the garden!

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, Jaime and Trace must have visited the same garden store. Except you are doing much better than me. After about week 3 I stopped even going out there!!!

    ReplyDelete