Sunday, July 3, 2011

Our newest treasure!





Countless letters, two research essays, and hours of bargaining/begging by Brooke had finally persuaded me to talk seriously to Jamie about finding Brooke a lapdog.  She has been asking for one for at least three years.  Jamie had been completely opposed, but recently he had somewhat a change of heart. I began looking for a puppy that would fit the description of what Brooke wants:  a lapdog...something like a Yorkie.  I first checked with animal shelters and humane societies, but what I found were a lot of bigger dogs...majority being some type of Pitbull mix or Lab mix.  None that would be small house dogs, and very few puppies. 

I next began checking with breeders.  Who knew such small dogs could be so expensive??  I had no idea.  We wanted a puppy to become part of our family, and we do not plan to breed her.  With this being the case, we do not need an expensive show-quality dog. I really was thinking that we would not find anything within our budget.

Finally, I found a lady who had a litter of puppies that will soon be ready to go to new homes, and the price was within our budget.  After talking to the breeder on the phone, I decided that the children and I would go and visit.  I tried to call Jamie at work to let him know, but he was not in the office.  So, without his consent, the children and I visited the breeder and the litter of puppies.  This little girl is a Yorkie Poo, which is considered a designer dog.  Brooke loved the idea of that...plus she and "treasure" seemed to fall in love with each other.  After we as Zach says "bought half a dog," I called Jamie and told him that our search had ended.  His only question was, "How ugly is she?"  Not ugly at all...

1 comment: